Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On a roll

Movies: 2/50
I stole a page from Lilly and watched Timer. A company makes computer programmed "timers" that can be implanted in people's wrists at puberty and which count down to the day they meet their soul mate. Assuming their soul mate has a timer they will count down to the same moment, when their eyes first meet... if one half of a star-crossed pair is timer-less, then the implanted half of the set remains blank.

Being the planner-oriented type that I am, I immediately assumed that I would get one... and would therefore know when I met the "one" (although M is of course my "one" so it is, as they say, moot). I liked the characters, and I liked the relationships. However, at the end, one of the characters removes their timer, and I felt that rang a little false. Of course the choice to get a timer or not is interesting and fraught, but the way I bought into the setup, once you have a timer, especially for several years, that due date has got to be burned in your brain. It's not like taking it out would make you forget the date that had been imprinted in your timer for years. So you'd eventually get to that date, sans timer, and be all hyped up or nervous, or whatever... I can't really see it playing out any other way.

So, thumbs up. Oh, and Quinn from Dexter plays the hottie "Dan the Man" which was a nice bonus too.

1 comment:

  1. I impulsively streamed this movie from Netflix in July, during my lying on the sofa and waiting final phase of pregnancy. I felt the same way about the ending- lackluster. I did find the premise sort of fascinating, and the movie as a whole rather charming. It served it's purpose- getting me to think about something other than my rapidly swelling ankles. Have fun at Hugo tonight!

    ReplyDelete