Monday, January 2, 2012

Jan 1, one movie down

MOVIES (1/50)
M and I saw The Muppets movie last night (Jan 1) at the Campus Theater. We got there early enough to snag a couch. I cried several times, including at the whistling. It's cheesy, but self-aware enough to be funny, and corny in all the right ways. I loved it. And I'm on a roll with movies already... yay! There's lots of good stuff coming to the Campus and it's such a great little theater and we're already members, so if I just make a point to commit to regular movie nights with M (maybe movie nights should fall on allergy shot nights as a compensation) I should be golden.

BOOKS (0/50)
That said, I am about half way through Sophie's Choice (can't wait to see the movie when I'm done with the book, b/c Kevin & Meryl are 2 of my favorites of all time) but I am struggling with the book. Trying to read it while stranded in Denver between one hellish travel day in Wyoming and another through Miami and Baltimore didn't help. The language is lush and I love it... like my friend Kerry attested with her list of words she had to look up, there's fabulous vocabulary coming out the wazoo... but I have to work hard enough to get through it that I fall asleep sooner to it than I'd like. Then again, maybe that's just the jet lag and bus ride weariness. I have also started Loving Frank, b/c it's my bookclub's choice due next week. Enjoyable... a much easier read.

Also, since my lovely Becky Wang got me a kindle for Christmas, so that will help while travelling or in the allergy doctor's office. I can keep a real book at my bedside and an electronic one in my purse or car -- LOVE IT!

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend having the kindle at your bed. I don't know how I ever suffered the turning of pages before. Now I can lie on my side and use one hand to hold and turn pages! How did I ever survive before??? :)

    I'm looking forward to reading your updates. I so wish I could do this challenge with you. Maybe another year.

    I did NOT like Loving Frank, but the writing was well done.

    My favorite book of all time, and a pretty quick read, The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama. If you don't like it, don't tell me, but I recommend it for your challenge!

    Good luck! And hooray for required date nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch this Muppets movie, although I didn't grow up watching it so I'm not sure if I'll feel the same connection everyone else does? - Jon

    ReplyDelete